tiistai 24. heinäkuuta 2012

All the roads we have to walk are winding.

I wake up early to catch the sunrise. After a short time of waiting I start my descent, visiting all other peaks but the West peak in the process. My former fear of heights seems to be almost completely gone.

I am quite happy with my decision to take on the mountains alone. Though the experience is worthy of sharing, climbing alone bears a certain boast and a different feeling of accomplishment. In addition, I cannot think of many others who would agree to sleep on bare stone or keep up with the pace I took to ascend.

After descending from Mt. Hua I read it is considered one of the most dangerous hiking trails in the world. This information changes nothing, and would not have changed a thing even if I had known it before climbing. It is still morning, and after having lunch for breakfast I set out to find a hostel to stay at. I happen into a supremely cheap place, which is approximately the dirtiest place I have ever spent time in. Hardly anything works, but I do not care. I rest for a while before going out to town to kill time and have dinner. In the evening I do some slight training in my grimy room, take a shower and rest.

The next day I return to Zhengzhou to meet my friend at the train station. That day we only rest, and on the following days we spend quite a deal of time only having tea and discussions. We also visit an antique market, where I purchase some curiosities and gifts. A mute artisan carves me a name chop out of onyx, and I am fairly sure I shall scarcely use it.

Before leaving for Guangzhou, I want to take all I can from the discussions , so we stay up late over tea every night until my departure. I find it peculiar that this could happen, though it is what I awaited from the visit. A chance encounter from almost a year ago left me with a dear friend.

Finally it is time to leave early in the morning. There are no hard goodbyes, merely a promise to meet again. My road takes me through Wuhan to Guangzhou, which means spending another whole day in a train. This gives me time to think. Again. The road is long and winding indeed.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti