lauantai 16. kesäkuuta 2012

A hero, a shinobi and a maid walk into a bar...

The ace in my sleeve is on the table and all bets are off. Mostly that means that I abuse the local train system for all that it's worth.

I made my way back to Tokyo only to idly stroll about the city once again. I did go to see if Roppongi has anything interesting. Sadly the case is that I have hardly any idea what I want to find, so I silently leave for Akasaka. I happen into a bar where an American man is singing while playing a guitar. After his song the owner returns order to the place by playing records. It is just me, the American and the owner in the room. As is usual, I order tea only. The American, visibly drunk, strikes a conversation and spills his guts about how he is fighting the good fight to save Japan from American ideals. A real hero, this one. After he is done giving me sage advice he leaves. I stay behind and the owner of the place displays his impressive collection of old music. I should be more careless about my camera trigger finger, I think.

I then start asking about the famed Ninja restaurant in Akasaka. The owner and a regular patron help me out and even kindly draw me a mayo to get there. On the way I see people standing in line for Hooters. The ninja place is thoroughly entertaining with ninja this and that. From a secret passage entrance shuriken-shaped appetisers to ninja parlor tricks between meals, it is an experience worth having. Everyone is dressed like the people of the shadows one sees in ninja films and the menu is a scroll. Mostly everything is accompanied by mysterious hand gestures and the staff speaks in an even more respectful manner than in other establishments. The one they call a ninja magician displays sleight of hand between courses. As one who is not easily impressed I must be a difficult customer for him. His last trick, though, forces a smile on my face. He proclaims he will disappear, makes more hand gestures and chants a short mantra, then picks up his trick box and calmly walks away.

In true ninja fashion they spy my nationality by bringing in a new waitress towards the end of the course. In idle chat she asks where I am from before my original waitress leads me out through another secret passage. As I turn my back to leave, the kunoichi tells me to wait a moment. When I face her again, she unfolds a scroll that has "see you again" written in Finnish. I take a bow and leave for Asakusa. It is late, and I go to sleep in a capsule hotel. It is surprisingly comfortable, and there is a much needed bathing facility. At some point I have fallen slightly ill, which reduces the quality of my sleep.

The next day I meet yet another friend. Sadly he is quite busy and we only spend a short time. We go to a natural history museum, which is nice for a change. Too bad I cannot read nearly any of the texts accompanying the exhibits. After lunch we say goodbye and I take a ride on the metro again.  I end up in Akihabara, which is kind of the neon light hell I expected Tokyo to be. I spend a few hours going around the interesting hobby stores, and suddenly I want to buy all the battle mechs. Unfortunately my money and luggage are limited, so I let it alone. I also visit the awesomely named Backdrop (or Bakkudoroppu, as the locals would say) store in hopes of finding some wrestling stuff to bring home. Sadly the stuff there is mostly connected to American wrestling, so I choose to not spend my money there. It its back to the streets then.

As the evening starts turning towards night, I decide to visit a maid café, of which there are plenty here, because why not. I would soon see why not. The place is too pink to exist and the music and the maids' voices are like my ears are being filled with cotton candy. The maids also walk up to patrons, making a kind of heart gesture with their hands and trying to get the patrons to follow in a cutesy rhyme. They are not amused by my not being amused by this. After the minimum one order of iced cocoa, I leave. I do not feel comfortable in such a place.

I go to spend the night at yet another a Internet café. So far my lodging has been in a shady motel, a love hotel, slightly suspicious overnight cafés, a capsule hotel and now this place. It is comparatively classy and very quiet. There is not enough space to sleep properly though. It does not matter, as I have the chance to recharge my phone, get in touch with the guy I am meeting the next day and take a shower in the morning. A new day will see me leave Akihabara behind after visiting the Gundam café, which is much less interesting than the name would suggest.




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti